Free School Meals As the government has now introduced free school meals for all children in Key Stage 1, it is more important than ever for schools to know the number of pupils for whom they can claim Pupil Premium funding. These funds enable schools to take on additional staff and invest in additional equipment, resources and activities to the benefit all children and are linked to Free School Meals.
Free School Meals provide eligible children with a Free School Meal each day. To qualify, families should be receiving one or more of the qualifying benefits (see below). Free School Meals are administered by Devon County Council (DCC) for all Devon maintained schools.
Parents/carers in receipt of the following support payments will be entitled to receive Free School Meals:
- Income-based & Contribution-based JSA or ESA on an equal basis
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also allowed to receive Free School Meals.
Applying for Free School Meals:
Phone – Parents/Carers can ring Education Helpline on 0345 155 1019.
Application Form – A form can be: (1) completed online at www.devon.gov.uk/free_school_meals.htm; (2) downloaded from the link at the very top of this page: 'Free School Meals', scanned and emailed to email@example.com; or (3) printed and posted to: The FSM Team, Room L102, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD. Alternatively, we are happy to offer you help to guide you through the process - we'll even offer you time on one of our computers to make an online application. Please be in touch!